Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Upside Down Banana Walnut French Toast

I can't believe it's almost Thanksgiving! Wasn't it just Easter?! When I was little, it was always the "old people" like mom and dad who would say how fast time goes, and it looks like I'm "old" now, because time really does slip away from me!

I love dishes that I can make ahead and put in the fridge to bake later. I'm not a breakfast person, unless you count Diet Coke, but when I have people over and need to have something, this is a great recipe! I love how you just layer things and then throw it in the fridge for up to a day. That's my kind of breakfast! Hope you all enjoy it - all 4 of you readers! LOL


Upside Down Banana Walnut French Toast

1 1/2 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C butter, melted
1/4 C corn syrup
1/2 C chopped walnuts
3 medium bananas, sliced
1 loaf (about 1 lb) of sliced, unfrosted, cinnamon bread
6 eggs, 1 1/2 C milk
1 tsp vanilla

Lightly grease a 9/13 pan with nonstick spray. In a large bowl, stir together brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and walnuts until smooth. Gently stir in bananas. Spoon banana mixture into baking dish.

Set the heels aside to eat yourself. Arrange 2 layers of bread on banana mixture, tearing bread to fit if needed.

In medium bowl, beat eggs, milk and vanilla with wire whisk until well mixed. Pour over bread. Cover tightly and refrigerate at least1 hour, but no longer than 24 hours.

Heat oven to 325. Uncover bread mixture and bake 45-55 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve portions upside down, spooning sauce from bottom of dish over each serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment