Thursday, October 21, 2010

Ham and Lentil Stew

Okay, so I know this is the second post in a day, but I'm trying to make up for lost time.  This was our dinner tonight, and dare I say it was a HUGE HIT with the munchkins!  My kids always turn their nose up at soup for dinner.  I think it's genetic because their dad is the same way - unless it's accompanied by a nice big meaty sandwich.  My kids think this is just "ham and lentils", which is just fine with me.  It's like how we call every meat "Steak" or "Chicken", and every vegetable they may not like is a "different colored carrot".  Whoops, my train of thought has been derailed.  Back to the task at hand - here's my recipe!  Super yummy!

Ham and Lentil Stew

2 C small diced ham
1 C water
32 oz beef broth
8 oz dried lentils (this is by weight, not measurement)
1 C cut carrots
1/2 C diced bell peppers
1 small bag frozen pearl onions, thawed
1 small bag frozen cut green beans, thawed
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 C shredded cheddar cheese, if desired

Combine all ingredients into a crock pot and stir to combine well.  Turn the crock pot on High and cook 3 1/2 to 4 hrs.

Place a small handful of cheese in the bottom of the bowl and ladle the soup on top.  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment