Monday, September 20, 2010

Red Beans and Rice

So I had EVERY intention of making this for dinner tonight, until I realized that I had no canned red beans.  I'm kind of a canned food addict, and LOVE buying things for the pantry - black beans being a staple.  Unfortunately, I'm always thinking I'm out of black beans, so I buy those, completely forgetting those wonderful little red beans.  I have them all dried in my huge pantry as well, but those don't lend themselves to last minute preparation, which I find myself doing all too often.

This is a tried and tested family favorite recipe here at our house.  I hope you'll enjoy it as much as we do!

Red Beans and Rice

2 tsp butter
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 c)
1 T flour
1-15oz can red beans, rinsed and drained
1-8oz can tomato sauce
4 oz low fat sausage patties or links, cooked, drained and chopped
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp Tabasco (optional)
3 c hot cooked rice (or more like we do!)
1/4 c sour cream (optional)

Melt butter in a skillet until sizzling.  Add onion.  Cook over medium heat until onion is softened, 2-3 minutes.  Reduce heat to low, sprinkle flour over onion; stir to mix well.  Continue to cook another minute to get rid of the "flour" taste.

Stir in beans, tomato sauce, sausage, bay leaf, pepper, and Tabasco if desired.  Cover and continue to cook until heated through and the flavors are blended, usually 10-15 minutes.  Remove bay leaf.

Serve the bean mixture over the rice, topping with the sour cream if you'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment